background

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lessons in Doula-ing Part 1


So I've been training as a doula through DONA International for about six months now. 
Basically, a doula is a person who supports a woman throughout pregnancy, labor, birth, and the postpartum period. I'm still very, very new at this. I wanted to chronicle some of the little things I've learned so far.

1. EAT. Don't forget to eat. Don't get to the point of being "hangry."
2. Sleep deprivation, like parenthood, is part of this job. It's 100% worth it but you will be exhausted and question your existence at times.
3. Be sensitive to the needs of each individual client. No two women are the same and no two births are the same.
4. We are stronger than we can possibly imagine. My clients surprise me constantly with their strength. Women have an incredible inner power that birth and labor really bring out!

That's all for now! I can't wait to see where this journey takes me next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment